6001 W. Capitol Drive - Then
Milwaukee, est. 1957
On September 30, 1957, the bank was renamed Milwaukee Western Bank, properly identifying it with the western edge of Milwaukee. In 1958, the bank moved to its new location at 60th and Capitol Drive. The building’s new look reflected management’s belief that an up-to-date physical plant went hand-in-hand with modern banking methods. Construction costs for the new bank, including the land, totaled $650,000.
The bank’s Trust Department opened December 1, 1963, with Richard Sachs becoming vice president and trust officer in 1964. Mr. Emch retired in 1966 as president and named James Hauer as his replacement. In 1967, Mr. Emch stepped down as chairman of the board, becoming honorary chairman, and Richard Sachs was named both chairman of the board and president of the bank.
Mr. Sachs continued in these roles throughout the 60s, 70s and 80s. During this time, a Florida corporation owned the majority of shares in the bank. In 1980, however, Western Bancshares, a local bank holding company, was formed, purchasing 100% of bank shares and appointing a new board of directors. The bank returned to its heritage of local ownership, under which it operates today.
An addition to the building was completed in 1981, creating a new walk-up and drive-up facility. At the same time, the lobby and other areas of the bank received a major face lift, the first since 1957. Western Bancshares and the bank continued with Mr. Sachs as president and CEO until his retirement in 1994.